The suspected driver of a big rig carrying 53 illegal immigrants who died in a botched smuggling operation in Texas will stay behind
The suspected driver of a big rig carrying 53 illegal immigrants who died in a botched smuggling operation in Texas will stay behind bars for now, according to court records.
Homero Zamorano Jr. 45, was set to appear in court Wednesday morning to determine whether he would remain in custody, but that hearing was waived, according to court records. It’s not clear whether Zamorano or his attorneys waived the hearing.
Zamorano is one of four suspects arrested in connection with the death of 53 immigrants. Photos that show Zamorano driving the big rig from Laredo to San Antonio have been released by the Mexican government.
Zamorano, of Pasadena, Texas, was allegedly high on meth when he abandoned the 18-wheeler on the side of a road in San Antonio last month in an area known for smuggling. Authorities say he left the dying immigrants in the back of the truck, but witnesses heard a cry for help and spotted the truck with bodies stacked inside the back as well as lifeless immigrants laying on the ground.
Last week, he was charged with one count of alien smuggling resulting in death, the US Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Texas said.
The identities of 47 of the 53 immigrants who died in inhumane, sweltering conditions were released by the medical examiner in San Antonio Wednesday morning.
The youngest victims were 13-year-old Pascual Melvin Guachiac Sipac and 14-year-old Juan Wilmer Tulul Tepaz of Guatemala. The other victims ranged from 16 to 55 years old.
Of the 47 victims who have been identified, 22 were citizens of Mexico, 19 from Guatemala, and six from Honduras.
The medical examiner’s office says it is still working to identify six more victims.
Another 16 victims who survived in horrific ordeal remain in San Antonio hospitals.