'That show is the only thing that could break me': Stephen Mulhern jokes he'd only appear on I'm A Celebrity for £3 MILLION because he
‘That show is the only thing that could break me’: Stephen Mulhern jokes he’d only appear on I’m A Celebrity for £3 MILLION because he couldn’t stomach the eating trials
It made a long-awaited return to screens in November from its new home in Wales during the Covid pandemic.
And Stephen Mulhern has insisted he’d never be brave enough to appear on I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! unless they pay him £3 million.
The Saturday Night Takeaway presenter, 44, admitted he’d struggle to stomach some of the show’s infamous eating challenges and feared he’d be ‘broken’ by the tough living conditions.
No way! Stephen Mulhern has insisted he’d never be brave enough to appear on I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! unless they pay him £3 million
Stephen told The Mirror he’d find it difficult to handle some of the stomach-churning Bushtucker trials, including the one which sees stars tuck into a plate of animal bodyparts.
He said: ‘I’ve never been asked on the jungle, but they know what I’m like, and I don’t know if you’re aware, but in terms of eating I’ve got a very, very plain palette and the thought of putting stuff in my mouth…I don’t know if I could do it.
‘I think that show is the only thing that could break me, because the idea of doing the stunts and the heights and the jumping out of a plane, that would have to be top dollar to even consider it.
‘How much are we talking for me to do it? I can’t believe we are talking about this but how about £3million and I’ll do it?! Alright if you can get half that I’m in!’
‘If you can get that I’m in!’ The Saturday Night Takeaway presenter admitted he’d struggle to stomach some of the show’s infamous eating challenges
Stephen will return to ITV screens this weekend for a new series of his gameshow In For A Penny, where members of the public take part in various challenges to win £1,000.
I’m A Celebrity is typically filmed in the Australian jungle, with celebrities spending three weeks living in a camp on basic rations and taking part in the famous Bushtucker Trials to win food.
The ITV show relocated to Gwrych Castle in Wales for its 2020 series after travelling to Australia became impossible during the Covid pandemic.
Unlikely: Stephen said that taking part in I’m A Celebrity could ‘break him’ and it would have to be ‘top dollar’ for him to consider it
Will it happen? It comes following reports that ITV bosses will not know until September if I’m A Celebrity will be able to return to its usual home in Australia
It was reported earlier this month that bosses will not know until September if it’s able to return to its usual home in Australia.
According to The Mirror, everyone is thought to be ‘very keen’ to return to the jungle and it is now just a ‘waiting game’ to know if it’ll be possible.
One insider said: ‘Everyone is keen to get back Down Under this year but, of course, it depends on what the Australian authorities will allow.
‘We won’t know for sure if we can get back to the Gold Coast until the start of autumn, when things will be much clearer. Until then, it’s a waiting game.’
Last month, ITV chief executive Dame Carolyn McCall confirmed that bosses are hoping the show will return to the jungle as that is how the show is ‘meant to be.’
Speaking as the network published its group annual results, she said: ‘If we can go back to Australia – and this show is meant to be in Australia – then that’s what we’ll do. We have a very good plan if not, as we have already done it once (in the castle).’
Going back for round two? There has been speculation the show will return to Gwrych Castle in Wales for the 2021 series with reports claiming ITV have already booked it as a backup