State pension alert as certain pensioners now face incurring costs for NHS treatment

The NHS website explains: “If you receive both a pension from the country you now live in and your UK state pension, you cannot get an S1 form. This is because the country you live in will be responsible for your healthcare.

“If you receive your UK state pension as well as a pension from an EU member state, but are now living in a different EU state, the country to which you paid contributions toward your pension for the longest period becomes responsible for your healthcare.”

Expats may therefore wish to consider whether securing private medical insurance to cover their costs if they visit the UK.

If this is not in place, any treatment a person may have to pay for will be charged at 150 percent of the national NHS rate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.