Kate Langbroek gives an update on her son Lewis' battle with leukaemia

HomeTv & Show

Kate Langbroek gives an update on her son Lewis' battle with leukaemia

Kate Langbroek gives a heartbreaking update on her 18-year-old son Lewis' leukaemia battle: 'They thought you might not make it'By Kri

Toby Keith thanks fans for their 'love and support' two days after revealing stomach cancer battle
London fire: Huge blaze ravages ground floor shop as 60 firefighters battle inferno
Tallia Storm and Drag Race's Blu Hydrangea battle for a spot on Dancing On Ice 2023


Kate Langbroek gives a heartbreaking update on her 18-year-old son Lewis’ leukaemia battle: ‘They thought you might not make it’

TV and radio presenter Kate Langbroek has given an update on her son Lewis’ cancer battle.

Lewis, 18, was diagnosed with leukaemia when he was just six years old and still has regular check-ups at the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne after undergoing years of treatment.

Speaking on The 3pm Pick-Up on Thursday, Kate, 56, recounted a conversation she had last year with a nurse who at one stage during Lewis’ treatment was worried he ‘might not make it’.

TV and radio presenter Kate Langbroek has given an update on her son Lewis' cancer battle

TV and radio presenter Kate Langbroek has given an update on her son Lewis’ cancer battle 

The nurse approached Kate and Lewis in the hospital café, having recognised the teenager from a previous visit to the hospital when he was ‘really sick’.  

The KIIS FM host recalled the woman saying: ‘I looked after you when you were little and you were really sick. We never wanted to tell you this at the time, but we were so worried about you. We worried you might not make it.’

Kate continued: ‘[The nurse] had tears in her eyes. I had tears in my eyes. And Lewis is standing there just like a big doofus.’ 

Speaking on The 3pm Pick-Up on Thursday, Kate, 56, recounted a conversation she had last year with a nurse who at one stage during Lewis' treatment was worried he 'might not make it'. (Kate and son Lewis are seen here with her husband Peter Allen Lewis)

Speaking on The 3pm Pick-Up on Thursday, Kate, 56, recounted a conversation she had last year with a nurse who at one stage during Lewis’ treatment was worried he ‘might not make it’. (Kate and son Lewis are seen here with her husband Peter Allen Lewis)

Kate also said on The 3pm Pick-Up that Lewis received some good news from his doctors during his latest check-up on Monday.

She revealed the doctor had told them: ‘This is the last time we’ll be seeing you at this hospital, because Lewis is transitioning to an adult hospital.’

She continued: ‘I thought, “Oh my goodness, there were so many times where we thought this day may not come.”

‘You’re confronted with what the course of his illness looked like, and there were times when we thought, “I don’t see how we can make it through this.”‘

The nurse approached Kate and Lewis in the hospital café, having recognised the teenager from a previous visit to the hospital when he was 'really sick'

The nurse approached Kate and Lewis in the hospital café, having recognised the teenager from a previous visit to the hospital when he was ‘really sick’ 

She concluded: ‘And there we were – being dismissed by the beautiful doctors and being sent on our way!’

Kate spoke about her son’s cancer battle on The Project last year during a discussion about a three-year-old boy from Melbourne who had stage 4 neuroblastoma. 

Co-host Carrie Bickmore reached for Kate’s hand during the exchange, both women clinging to one another and fighting back tears.

The KIIS FM host recalled the nurse saying, 'I looked after you when you were little and you were really sick. We never wanted to tell you this at the time, but we were so worried about you'

The KIIS FM host recalled the nurse saying, ‘I looked after you when you were little and you were really sick. We never wanted to tell you this at the time, but we were so worried about you’

Kate spoke about her son's cancer battle on The Project last year during a discussion about a three-year-old boy from Melbourne who had stage 4 neuroblastoma. (Left: Carrie Bickmore)

Kate spoke about her son’s cancer battle on The Project last year during a discussion about a three-year-old boy from Melbourne who had stage 4 neuroblastoma. (Left: Carrie Bickmore) 

‘Childhood cancers are particularly difficult. My son was diagnosed with [leukaemia] – you remember, Carrie – and I remember when we were first in hospital, and I saw the other little bald children, all I saw was the baldness,’ Kate said.

‘And then after we had spent time there and my own son was bald, I learnt to see the child and once you see the child, you will do anything to help the child. It’s very powerful.’ 

Lewis had leukaemia for three and a half years before making a full recovery in 2013. He now goes for annual check-ups.  

Lewis had leukaemia for three and a half years before making a full recovery in 2013. He now goes for annual check-ups

Lewis had leukaemia for three and a half years before making a full recovery in 2013. He now goes for annual check-ups 

Advertisement

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0