Dog food recall expands: More than 70 dogs have died and 80 pets sick after eating Sportsmix pet food

HomeMoney

Dog food recall expands: More than 70 dogs have died and 80 pets sick after eating Sportsmix pet food

Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc. has expanded its recall of some of its products after reports that the food is linked to multiple dog deaths and may con

Farmer died after being buried alive in tunnel collapse as he tried to rescue his beloved sheep dog
500 brumbies died in bushfires as wild horse population crashes in Kosciuszko National Park
ROBERT HARDMAN: How David Barclay, who has died at 86, rose to be one half of UK's media mogul twins


A golden retriever eats dog food out of a dog bowl.

Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc. has expanded its recall of some of its products after reports that the food is linked to multiple dog deaths and may contain potentially unsafe levels of aflatoxin, a byproduct of mold.

The Food and Drug Administration said in a statement that it has been “aware of more than 70 dogs that have died and more than 80 that are sick after eating Sportmix pet food.”

Aflatoxin is a toxin that can grow on corn and other grains used as ingredients in pet food, according to the FDA. At high levels, aflatoxin can cause illness and death in pets.

The Evansville, Indiana, family-owned company said in a statement Wednesday that in its nearly 100 years it has never had a recall until recently.



COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0