Boleyn Castle: The home where Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn met that became a football ground


Anne Boleyn was one of the most influential Queen Consorts, and one of the most famous in the history of England. Anne married Henry in 1533 after King Henry VIII divorced his first wife Catherine of Aragon. The royal couple’s marriage was a watershed moment in English history, where the influence of the Catholic Church broke down.

Green House was a red-brick mini Tudor palace originally believed to date back to the 15th century.

The building became commonly known as Boleyn Castle because of the legend that says Henry and Anne’s romance began blossoming there.

When the monasteries were dissolved as part of Henry’s separation from the Catholic Church, he sold the land off cheaply to loyal subjects.

Among the properties Henry sold was Green House, which was bought by a man called Richard Breame.

DON’T MISS:

It is believed Breame boasted to peers that King Henry courted Anne there in an attempt to impress them.

Over the next four centuries, Green House had a number of different occupants, including Cardinal Manning, who converted the building to a Catholic reformatory school in 1869.

Over time, however, the stately home became rundown.

It was demolished in 1955, most likely as a result of bomb damage during the Blitz in World War II.

Green Street House, usually known as ‘Boleyn Castle’, was a stately home in East Ham in the London Borough of Newham in East London.

The house lay at the southern end of Green Street, a street that forms the boundary between West and East Ham.

West Ham United’s former Boleyn Ground was built immediately next to the House and took its name from the alternative name for the house (Boleyn Castle).

In its early years, the club referred to its new ground as the Boleyn Castle.

Green Street House was a red-brick building, mostly of two storeys, and featured a great hall and a massive kitchen block.

South of the kitchen block was a staircase wing with a three-storeyed tower east of that.

At the front of the castle, there was a massive arched gateway.

In the garden, there was a detached tower, called ‘Anne Boleyn’s Tower’, which overlooked the street and was the best-known feature of the house.

This was an octagonal building of red brick and was built about the middle of the 16th-century.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.